Few things really make the party like great music (okay, your favorite friends and an open bar might help) - and the folks over at Bamboo Beats know a thing or two about music. After meeting Jojo (half of the husband and wife team that owns the business) here at ULS during a huge New Years Eve party and seeing how well they handled the crowd and how they used our screen and projector and lights to create an incredible, unique ambiance, I was excited to get them into the space again. And I quickly saw that if the event was a 200 person bash or an intimate 50 person wedding, they know exactly how to read the crowd and make sure everyone has a blast.
So if you want a DJ who will do more than play music and who will work hard to ensure that your party is THE PARTY, read on!
Q: Bamboo Beats is Seattle's first green DJ - what steps do you take to be more a more environmentally friendly business?
A: We are proud to be Seattle’s first green DJ! With these 5 steps, we are doing our part to lessen the impact we have on our precious environment:
1) We drive green: Our main concerns are with energy conservation and as a mobile business, our goal is to drive green. We use a hybrid Prius for our main transportation and additional vehicles are greened by purchasing carbon offsets.
2) We buy green power: We support renewable energy by participating in green power programs from Seattle City Light, Puget Sound Energy and other clean energy providers. To further conserve energy, black was chosen for our website display color because it uses only 59 watts to display rather than 74 watts for a white display. Imagine how much energy could be saved if Google’s home page were a dark color!
3) We reduce, reuse and recycle: We use recycled paper and only print what we need. We encourage all contracts and invoices to be sent electronically to reduce paper usage. Also, all of our DJs are vinyl lovers so they reclaims vintage vinyl so that they don’t end up in landfills along with all those plastic bags and CDs.
4) We support green businesses: We partner with other sustainable vendors in the event industry and use green businesses for our marketing materials, web hosting, dry cleaning and more. There are many options in every category from venues, local/organic catering, floral decor, eco-friendly fashion, plus favor donations to social causes and more. We are fortunate to part of a network of wonderful sustainable vendors in the Seattle area.
5) We help Green your event: As Seattle’s First Green DJ, we will purchase renewable energy certificates on your behalf to fight global warming and to help make your party a carbon neutral event.
Photo by Jenny Jimenez
Q: You're a husband and wife team - what's it like working with your spouse?!
A: We started our business as a result of the team effort we made in planning our own wedding. After 9 years of marriage and over 7 years of being in business together, we are happy to report that things have never been better! It’s an amazing chemistry when two people complement each other in talent, skills and personality. I mean, how lucky are we, that we get paid to make folks feel happy and alive through music and dancing? When it comes to weddings, each one is so unique and endearing. During vows and toasts we are always reminded of our relationship and it’s like we get married all over again each time!
We are also fortunate enough to have built a business that allows us to raise a family and have a working schedule that suits our lifestyle. Our business feels like an extended family and we are so blessed to touch the lives of so many people during their important life events. As we have grown, we are also honored to have been able to create income streams for our partners and their families. We often think that if the whole world had as much fun making a living as we do, there would be non-stop dancing in the streets!